Looking for a fast recipe that gives you the Chinese takeout flavor you crave without the need for hours in the kitchen? Look no further we’ve got just the thing!
Sweet n Spicy Firecracker Chicken
- 1 kg boneless chicken cubes or strips
- 1/2 cup cornflour if its not enough to coat, add 1 tbsp more
- 2 egg whites beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil as needed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 cup ketchup
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp chilli sauce or to taste
- 3 tsp honey or to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp red chilli flakes or to taste
- green onion stalk to garnish
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Marinade the chicken in the ingredients given and set aside for 15-30 minutes.
- Fry off chicken on medium high heat and drain of excess oil. Set aside.
For the Sauce
- Add oil to a pan on medium low heat and throw in your chopped ginger and garlic. Once they start to develop some color, add your red chilli flakes and let them infuse flavor in the oil.
- Add all the ingredients except your green onion and sesame seeds.
- Cook until the sauce comes together. Taste for flavor and adjust spice/sweetness level based on your own taste.
- Add your fried chicken to the sauce and mix. Garnish with spring onion and sesame seeds and serve hot with noodles or rice.