Weeknight dinners should be quick, easy, and require minimum ingredients and prep time. After all, who has the patience to wait for meats to marinade and chop up a kitchen full of ingredients?
This shinwari karhai recipe is ideal for nights where you just want to throw something together. It requires basic, minimal ingredients and no pre-marination is necessary.
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 kg tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 cloves (laung) cloves
- 1 tbsp cumin (zeera) crushed
- 1 tbsp allspice (garam masala)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 green chillies
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Heat your oil in a pan and add crushed cloves (laung) and salt. Let the oil infuse with the flavor for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add your chicken and fry until the color changes.
- Add your ginger-garlic paste, chopped tomatoes, and yogurt. Cook the chicken until the tomatoes soften and the chicken is cooked through.
- Add cumin, and red chilli powder, lemon juice and mix well.
- Cook until the oil separates then add garam masala and green chillies and mix.
- Garnish with sliced ginger, lemon slices, and serve hot.