Healthy Snacking: 5 Ingredient Granola Bars
DIY granola bars contain a wealth of healthy benefits and they are becoming an increasingly popular choice for a wholesome break or on the go snack. Try this minimalist recipe for the perfect batch of sweet and crunchy granola bars which can last you the whole week! (if you can resist them for that long).
- 1 cup/ 220 g of pitted dates (deglet noor or medjool)
- 1/4 cup/ 84 g of honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup/ 64 g creamy salted natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 cup/ 112 g of loosely chopped roasted unsalted almonds
- 1 1/2 cups/ 35 g rolled oats
- optional additions: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc
- Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should form a “dough” like consistency.
- Toast your oats (and almonds if raw) in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a large mixing bowl – set aside.
- Warm honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8×8-inch baking dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily.
- Press down firmly until the mixture becomes uniformly flattened.
- Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let firm up in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into 10 even bars. Store in an airtight container or freezer for up to a few days
We hope you enjoy these healthy, power packed granola bars!