Don’t know how to store qurbani meat? Read all about how to preserve meat after qurbani in this blog!
Eid ul Adha 2021 is coming right up and with that comes time for qurbani as well. Whether you’re sacrificing a sheep, goat, cow or camel, it’s important to know how to preserve meat after qurbani.
Let’s start with some common Eid ul Adha qurbani meat queries:
How to Preserve Meat After Qurbani
How to store Qurbani meat?
To store qurbani meat in a freezer, remember to keep the meat for only a certain amount of time. While freezers are great for storing food, we don’t recommend preserving meat after qurbani for months. Keep some for yourself and make shares for the needy people for distribution.
Ways to Preserve Meat of Qurbani:
- Clean your freezer 4-5 days in advance.
- Keep the cooling temperature of your freezer to maximum.
- Avoid using grocery bags from supermarkets.
- Instead, use small plastic bags that can store 1-3 kg of meat per bag.
How long can you keep Qurbani meat?
Qurbani meat that’s frozen can be stored for 3-4 months. But we personally don’t recommend storing your Qurbani meat for so long. If you want to preserve meat after Qurbani, then make sure you’re storing away small portions and it hasn’t been defrosted. Make sure the freezer door isn’t opened often and there aren’t any load shedding problem because in that case, stored Qurbani meat can go bad.
Can Qurbani meat be given to animals?
Qurbani of animals smaller than sheep and goat is not acceptable. Animals like sheep, goat, cow and camel are acceptable as there is enough meat to distribute. Every Qurbani ka janwar must be split into three qurbani hissa or qurbani shares – one qurbani hissa for the donor, one for the donor’s friends and one for the needy.
Why does Qurbani meat smell?
If your Qurbani meat smells right after it has been slaughtered, then it’s probably because there are remnants of blood in the animal’s carcass or because while skinning the animal, the skin was coming into contact with the carcass.
How to remove smell from Qurbani meat?
- Sprinkle flour with splash of water on Qurbani meat and mix to evenly coat. Leave it for 1-2 hours and then wash the meat with normal water.
- Another hack is to apply garlic paste and vinegar on the meat and leave the mixture for at least 30 minutes. Then wash the Qurbani meat with normal water.
Also Read: What are the rules of Qurbani?
Also read: How Many Qurbani Shares in a Cow?